Pistol Permits are processed for Rensselaer County residents under New York State laws. When you have completed an application and criminal background check, final approval or denial of a permit is the decision of our County Court Justice.
Applications can be picked up at the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office or the Rensselaer County Clerk’s Office. Our office hours are 8:00 A. M. to 4:00 P. M., Monday through Friday (except holidays). All completed forms MUST be delivered, in person to Sheriff's Office.
Applicants must be a legal resident of Rensselaer County and a citizen of the United States. You must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older or honorably discharged from the U. S. Military service or the New York State National Guard if you are under 21. For all requirements contact the Rensselaer County Clerks Office.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PISTOL LICENSE APPLICATION
- Complete the entire TWO (2) White forms by printing or typing, using only black ink.
- Do not write above your name on the state forms. Do not leave any questions unanswered. If not applicable write N/A.
- All forms must be signed in the presence of a notary public.
- You will need four (4) character references. These references should be a resident of Rensselaer County or a neighboring county, at least 21 years of age, and not related to you.
- Character references must PRINT their information on the TWO (2) White forms in the appropriate boxes, sign their names and clearly print there zip code
- References will be sent a form letter after you submit your application
They must complete forms, have their signature notarized and return forms to the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office
- You must list all arrests, including D.W.I., Y.O., and A.C.D. & Sealed Records.
- The arrest is what you were charged with.
- The disposition is what it was reduced to, or what you were convicted of or plead to.
- All arrests must be listed, even if it was totally dismissed or sealed.
- You will need two (2) identical photos, passport quality
- Obtain a $124.25 Postal Money Order ONLY, payable to the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office. NO Personal Checks
- You must call to make appointments to be fingerprinted and to take a safety course
- Call to make arrangements to drop off your completed application and have your fingerprinting done.
- 266-1991 Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office between 8am-4pm, Monday- Friday.
- After application is submitted the applicant is to call the Pistol Permit Clerk to make arrangements to take a Safety Course. (There is a Fee) 270-4171 Pistol Permit Clerk
All residents of Rensselaer County are accepted except residents of East Greenbush NY.