Recruitment Information for Deputy Sheriff and Correction Officers
Minimum Qualifications for All Positions
- Be a United States citizen
- Possess a valid New York State Class "D" driver's license
- Meet physical and medical standards
- Have no felony convictions
- The minimum age for Highway Patrol Deputy Sheriff Position is 21.
The maximum age to apply is 35 for the Highway Patrol
- The minimum age for Corrections Officers is 18.
A high school diploma or GED is the minimum requirement. Applicants should be aware that all positions are highly competitive in a field of candidates with varying degrees of educational backgrounds and experience. Only the most qualified candidates are selected.
- The selection process takes about six to eight months.
- Candidates are required to take a civil service administered exam and score a 70 or higher in order to be considered for further testing.
- The exam will be administered by the Rensselaer County Civil Service Commission. There is a non refundable $25.00 testing fee.
Your physical fitness will be evaluated to ensure that you are able to perform duties assigned. Please be aware that an offer of employment is contingent upon the passing of all phases of the process.
Once you have successfully passed both the written examination and a physical agility test, you will undergo:
- Intensive background investigation
- Psychological review
- Medical review
Because Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office is committed to providing the highest quality employees to the public, you will undergo a screening with a thorough background investigation. You must report any convictions on your record. If you have been convicted of a felony, you may not work for our office. If you have been convicted of a misdemeanor or other violation, you may be barred from employment. You must cooperate truthfully and completely in all aspects of the investigation; falsified or omitted information may cause you to be disqualified.