Pistol Permits are processed for Rensselaer County residents under New York State laws. When you have completed an application and criminal background check, final approval or denial of a permit is the decision of our County Court Justice.
All Applications can be picked up at the Rensselaer County Clerk’s Office
105 Third Street Troy, NY 12180 Tel. (518) 270-4080
Applicants must be a legal resident of Rensselaer County and a citizen of the United States. You must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older or honorably discharged from the U. S. Military service or the New York State National Guard if you are under 21.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PISTOL LICENSE APPLICATION
*** PLEASE NOTE*** DUE TO AN EXTREMELY HIGH NUMBER OF APPLICANTS... WE ASK THAT YOU BE PATIENT IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS... THANK YOU! ***
- Original application must be completed in black ink only, in duplicate, and notarized. DO NOT PHOTOCOPY.
- Do not write above your name on the state forms. Do not leave any questions unanswered. If not applicable write N/A.
- Two (2) passport quality photos are required. They must have been taken within the past 30 days. You must be 21 years of age to apply for a permit.
- You must include 2 photocopies of your birth certificate, a copy of your drivers’ license and social security card.
- If you are a veteran, you must attach a copy of your armed forces discharge.
- You will need four (4) character references. All references must live in the Capital District, be at least 21 years of age, and not related to you. References residing outside NYS are not acceptable.
- Character references must know you over 5 years. They must PRINT their information in the appropriate boxes, sign their names and clearly print their zip code.
- References will be sent a form letter after you submit your application. They must complete forms, have their signature notarized and return forms to the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office.
- If you live in the Town of East Greenbush, call (518) 479-2525 for filing fee information and submit your completed application to the East Greenbush Police Department.
- Applicants from any other city or town in Rensselaer County must contact the Sheriff’s Office at (518) 266-1991 to make an appointment for fingerprinting and submission of your application. The fee is $124.25. You must obtain a Postal Money Order ONLY, payable to the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office. NO Personal Checks.
- *** PLEASE NOTE*** DUE TO AN EXTREMELY HIGH NUMBER OF APPLICANTS... WE ASK THAT YOU BE PATIENT IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS... THANK YOU! ***
- You must submit a copy of a Pistol Safety Course Certificate.
To sign up for your pre-license safety course please visit http://www.rcfirearmstraining.org