Duties and Responsibilities of Law Enforcement Officers
Recruitment Information for Deputy Sheriff and Correction Officers Requirements for Physical Agility Test for Correction Officer Trainee
The Civil Service Commission is responsible for administration of civil service laws and procedures for all Application for Corrections/Law Enforcement Positions
RENSSELAER COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Agency: Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office
Location: 4000 Main Street, Troy, New York 12180
Title: Chief of Corrections - Operational
Type of Appointment: Exempt/Management Confidential
Nature of Activities: The Chief of Corrections is third in command, reporting solely and directly to the Sheriff and Undersheriff. The work involves responsibility for directing, coordinating and supervising the correctional operations of the Sheriff’s Office. This is an executive-level, highly confidential position with policy influencing functions. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities: Provides oversight of all facets of correctional facility including but not limited to:
- Supervises assignment, deployment and scheduling of Correctional Officers, supervisors, command level officers and all other staff assigned to correctional facility;
- Provides oversight of medical operations within facility;
- PREA Coordinator;
- Makes periodic inspections of the jail for cleanliness, security and general conditions;
- Assists Sheriff and Undersheriff in planning objectives, goals and mission of agency;
- Prepares all discipline of correctional officers and correctional staff;
- Ensures corrective actions when necessary and insures fairness of process;
- Assesses and addresses security and maintenance issues;
- Assumes administrative duties in absence of administrative chief;
- Performs other duties as directed by the Sheriff.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics: Thorough knowledge of New York State Correction Laws, Rules, Regulations and Minimum Standards governing local correctional facilities and jails; thorough knowledge of custody, security and building maintenance procedures in correctional facilities; ability to speak and write effectively; ability to coordinate activities and functions; integrity; sound judgment; neat appearance; tact; good knowledge of Labor Law.
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Correctional Administration, Correctional Practice, Corrections, Police Science, Law Enforcement or related field and five (5) years of command level correctional experience; or
(B) Graduation within one year of date of hire from a regionally accredited or NYS registered two (2) year college or university with an Associate’s Degree. Seven years equivalent experience in managing a workforce of at least 150 employees with experience in completing budget process; working knowledge of NYS Taylor Law, NYS Correctional Law and NYS Civil Service Law; or
(C) Minimum of ten (10) years experience in the field of Corrections, with a minimum of three at the Command level. Demonstrated knowledge of NYS Corrections Law, rules, regulations, standards, Taylor and Civil Service Law as well as experience in managing a workforce and completing budget process.
Deadline for submission: October 30, 2015
Please address resumes to: Sheriff Jack Mahar
Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Office
4000 Main Street
Troy, New York 12180